Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Preview
This is the Final Fantasy XIV that fans have been waiting for. It’s beautiful, action-packed, and looks to welcome the Final Fantasy MMORPG fans lost with the original’s release.
Square-Enix is hard at work developing Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn – previously titled 2.0 – and thankfully the entire game has been rebuilt from the ground up featuring a whole new world to explore, new storylines to experience, a brand new graphics engine, and new quests to complete. This is the revamped, re-imagined Final Fantasy XIV title that fans have been asking for when the PC version released quite a while ago.
Learn more about Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn after the break.
Square-Enix will be the first one to admit that Final Fantasy XIV’s original release in 2010 met with critical and financial troubles. Gamers and critics all over the world decried the game as bland and unfinished; some even said that the game wasn’t worthy of the Final Fantasy name.
Thankfully, the developers listened to fan requests and basically built a new game that features amazing character designs, incredibly detailed environments, lighting and effects. It will also feature cross-play between PlayStation 3 and PC players worldwide just like Final Fantasy XI Online did more than 10 years ago.
And just like the single-player Final Fantasy’s found on consoles, Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn is set to enthrall players with it’s unique and grandoise story. The land of Eorzea – home to the Hyur, Miqo’te, Elezen, Roegadyn, and Lalafell races – stands poised to enter an age of hardship (Seventh Umbral Era) where mad men and ruthless dictators threaten the peaceful land. As the beginning of the new era arrives, the Garlean Empire – ruled by Solus zos Galvus, the Emperor of Garlemald – embraces the calamitous arrival of the Umbral (elemental) catastrophes in their plans to invade and conquer Eorzea. With magical machinations like the deadly “Meteor” in their disposal, it might be inevitable that Eorzea will fall unless it’s inhabitants stand together and fight the deadly menace.
As an adventurer of Eorzea, players will choose their race and customize their characters, jobs, as well as attacks to heed the requests and pleads of Eorzeans. Along with other players from around the world, gamers can undertake missions, board massive airships, ride the famous Chocobos, and battle iconic beasts from the world of Final Fantasy. Those who wish to experience the game’s story can even team up with other adventurers to fight against the invading Garlean Empire.
Speaking of characters and jobs,players can choose their specialization with Final Fantasy XIV’s deep job system where they can choose from the following classes:
- Paladin – these men and women marry exquisite swordplay with stalwart shieldwork to create a style of combat uncompromising in its defense. Clad in brilliant silver armor, they charge fearlessly into battle, ever ready to lay down their lives for their liege.
- Monk – Monks master seats of power within the body known as chakra that allow them to perform extraordinary physical feats and martial skills.
- Warrior – In the thick of battle, warriors harness their inner-beasts and translate that power to unbridled savagery on the battlefield. They are known to wield two-handed weapons such as the greataxes.
- Dragoon – Born amidst the timeless conflict between men and dragons, these lance-wielding knights have developed an aerial style of combat, that they might better pierce the scaled hides of their mortal foes.
- Bard – Bards are known for earning money by singing in taverns, inns and such. In battle though, Bards songs hold sway over the hearts of men and can inspire comrades to perform great feats of strength and magic.
- White Mage – White Mages are known for their healing capabilities. They have the power to deliver comrades from the direst of afflictions – poison, stone, sleep, and such – and can even resurrect allies who’ve fallen in battle.
- Black Mage – Black Mages are agents of devastation; those who specialize in the black arts are capable of annihilating their opponents with destructive magics like fire, thunder, ice and more.
- Summoner – Summoners are those who are brave enough to summon forth beings known as primals, among which are Ifrit, Garuda, and Titan. Mythical beasts that bring destruction to those who lay in their path.
Finally, since Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn is also coming to the PlayStation 3, Square-Enix paid close attention to reception and fan response to implement a number of additional features that should help increase ease of use for PS3 players. Coming to the PS3 version of Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn are redeisned user interface, in-game tutorials, and an easy-to-use and organic control scheme that should lower the barrier of entry associated with MMORPG’s of this magnitude.
In the meantime, Sony and Square-Enix plan to bring an “limited time” open beta to the PSN sometime later this year. We’ll give you guys a heads-up once we find out the exact date. So while you wait for the beta and the final release, check out these screens from Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn below:
Posted on September 18, 2012, in Game Previews and tagged entertainment, final fantasy, final fantasy 14, final fantasy XIV, games, gaming, mmorpg, pc gaming, square enix. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.