Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter Starts – And It’s Already at $145,000
Posted by janhutchings
Larian Studios, the developers of the Divinity titles for PC and Xbox 360 recently launched the Kickstarter campaign for their upcoming Divinity: Original Sin. The Kickstarter campaign for this open-world, turn-based RPG just started two days ago, and it’s already amassed $145,000 of its $400,000 goal. A wonderful campaign start for such a storied franchise.
What’s great about Divinity: Original Sin is that a) it’s an open-world RPG, b) it’s got both singleplayer and coop multiplayer gameplay, and c) your actions, choices, and decisions actually have repercussions and consequences that affect not just you but the game world itself. More on Divinity: Original Sin and its Kickstarter campaign after the break.
With the funds from the Kickstarter campaign, Larian Studios hopes to hire more people to it’s team and to expand on features and gameplay ideas on Divinity: Original Sin. For example, funds can help them create more in-game environments and locations, more NPC’s to interact with, more quests, items, weapons, and options for character creation and customization.
When asked why the studio needed a Kickstarter fundraising campaign, Swen Vincke, Founder of Larian Studios said that the funds will help their team work at their full potential to make the an exceptional game that surpasses people’s expectations.
“Turning to Kickstarter is all about making our game as good as possible for our fans and allowing us to create the experience that we’ve always imagined. There’s a lot of potential in the game systems we’ve created so far, so we want to invest everything we can into pushing them further and unlocking their full potential. If we get the extra support from our fans now, I’m very confident that we’ll be able to make something truly exceptional. “
So, what can you expect from Divinity: Original Sin?
- Class-free Progression – Choose skills, abilities, and gear to create ‘your’ character.
- Cooperative – Drop-in/drop-out cooperative multiplayer with full-featured gameplay for both players. From questing to making important choices in dialogue, each player guides the course of the game.
- Skill and Spell Combos – A block of ice can be melted with fire, turned into a lethal pool of electricity, and refrozen into a slippery trap. This is one example of the many interactions possible.
- Meaningful Dialogue – For better or worse, your conversations have actual and noticeable impacts in the game-world. When playing cooperatively, both players have a say in the outcome.
- Open-world Gameplay – No artificial constraints to keep players from exploring the world or level-scaling to coddle you. If you are too weak for an area, you will quickly learn your lesson.
- Editor – Full suite of editing tools – the same used by the developers – to create completely new environments and adventures.
You can help Larian Studios make Divinity: Original Sin a much better game by backing their Kickstarter campaign at:
In the meantime, check out the screenshots below.
About janhutchingsCanadian Game Industry Blogger / Contributor for @Sonyrumors & @ShogunGamer / Communications and PR Professional. Voice of Canadian and Indie Gaming. http://jtmgames.com/
Posted on March 29, 2013, in Gaming News and tagged divinity, divinity original sin, games, gaming, gaming news, kickstarter, larian studios, role playing games. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.